- It's important to mow your lawn regularly. A lot of people don't know this, but in some cases, you may need to mow your lawn year round. During summer months, as our grass grows much faster, you may need to mow once a week.
- Speaking of mowing, use the clippings from mowing as fertilizer for your yard. This can help your yard retain nutrients
- Don't overfeed your lawn. This can actually result in weak growth and fungal problems.
Thursday, July 27, 2017
Summer can be a tough time for our yards, as it must withstand constant heat. This summer has been no exception, and we're not the only ones feeling the heat. It's important to make sure we're taking good care of our lawn, so it can last into the fall and year round. Here are some tips provided by an Asheville NC lawn care professional.
This time of year, we really get an idea of what shape our lawn is in. After experiencing the rain in spring and the intense heat we've had the last month or so, our lawns are now either looking great or showing areas that could use some improvements. Here are some tips provided by lawn care companies in Grand Lake OK.
- Aerate your lawn. Regardless of how your lawn is looking, it can benefit from aeration. An aerator helps loosen up the soil and can help promote better growth and healthier grass.
- Consider seeding. If your lawn is showing some bald sports, consider using seed instead of sod. Seed is cheaper and has been proven to be just as effective.
- Consider alternatives. In some cases, having a large lawn may not make the most sense. If you have a patch of lawn that just can't seem to grow, consider adding a rock garden. These require little maintenance and look much better than a patch of dead grass.
We hope everyone's summer is going well. Something we always associate with summer is eating some fresh fruit. Based on that idea, we thought we'd write a post about incorporating fruit into your summer landscaping. Fruit is a great way to add color to your landscape and provide you with some of the freshest fruit you've ever had. We came up with these tips while talking to an expert in landscape installations in Montgomery AL.
- Consider the need for pollen. It's important to remember that certain fruits grow best in certain climates and certain conditions. Some fruit trees such as apple and plum require cross-pollination and can only thrive when paired with a mate.
- Check your soil. Soil should be tested to determine if you need to add additional nutrients to promote growth. Consider consulting a professional to make sure conditions are best for your fruit.
- Avoid overripe fruit. A downside to fruit is it can attract pests and critters, especially when overripe. Some fruit can be picked before it is ripe and can sit inside to fully mature.
Tuesday, July 18, 2017
Since your outdoor living space is meant to appreciate Mother Nature in all her glory, why not respect her while creating it? Building your deck out of sustainable materials is not only good for the environment, but will help the structure last for generations to come. Examples of these materials include recovered wood fiber, long-lasting (and locally gathered) stone, and recycled post-consumer plastic. When painting or finishing your deck, make sure to shop for "low-VOC" products--or no-VOC if it's available. It's important to note that not all woods are actually sustainable, so do your research beforehand. Wood sustainability can be proven by a Forest Stewardship Council certification. For more advice on decks in Fort Worth TX, contact a landscaping professional.
We all know what landscaping is, but have you ever heard the term “hardscaping?” Hardscaping is exactly what it sounds like: the permanent, “hard” aspects of your landscape architecture that help level soil, limit erosion, and define spaces. Some examples are fences, paths, patios, planters, retaining walls, shelters, and ponds. Most of these features are human-made and built out of especially durable materials like wood, stone, brick, tile, or concrete. While softscaping elements (like trees, flowers, shrubs, gardens, etc.) fill your lawn with colors and wildlife, it’s important to contain them within beautiful hardscaping elements to achieve an aesthetically pleasing and functional space. Professional consultations and services for Landscape Construction inMarin County CA are important to pull off your desired end results.
Air conditioning isn't cheap during the hot months of the summer. But, there is a way to reduce your air conditioning bill by being smart with your landscaping. Well placed trees can help keep your house cooler by blocking it from the sun. Find out how to reduce your bill even more now:
- Shelter your home: Plant trees strategically to keep your house in the shade.
- Green your roof: By having a garden on your roof, the plants absorb heat and cool the air through the process of evapotranspiration
- Keep your air conditioners clear by making sure it is not blocked by twigs or leaves.
These tips came from professionals in landscape design in Palmetto FL.
The best way to get the freshest vegetables is to grow and pick them yourself! This way is also cheaper, greener, and more fun. Here are some key vegetables to grow this year that would make the perfect salad:
- Lettuce: Lettuce is easy to grow outside in the ground or inside in a container!
- Spinach: Spinach is amazing in salad and almost every other dish too. This takes about 6 weeks to grow, so make sure you plant it 6 weeks before the last frost date in your town.
- Tomatoes: These add color, flavor, and texture to any dish. This would be a fun vegetable to grow with children because they are so easy to grow inside and outside!
- Green beans: These are a gardeners dream come true because they grow fast and hearty.
If you need any landscape maintenance in Magnolia MA to keep your vegetables alive and well, click the link to speak with professionals who can help.
Testing your lawns soil is important because it helps you choose appropriate species of plants to plant in that particular soil. Certain plants will live better in certain soils. Also, soil testing is especially useful if you:
- would like to revive a droopy, dreary lawn or garden
- are looking to plan for next springs plants
- have just moved into a new home and are looking to understand your lawn and garden better so you know what to plant and what will survive
If you need a professional in landscape lighting in Homer Glen IL, click the link and contact a professional who can help you understand your lawn better.
If you have a large lawn, you most likely want professionals to come take care of it when it needs to be trimmed. Finding the right professionals can be difficult. First, you have to decide what type of services you need. You may need mowing, troubleshooting, or remediation, which involves treatment of the grass. To find the best professionals, start by researching online. Look for reviews, credentials, insurance coverage, and overall general knowledge that the professionals display. Contact a professional in landscape design in Springfield VA if you need a consultation or have any further questions.
Friday, July 14, 2017
Installing a fence is a big investment, so you want to make sure the fence you choose looks its best for as long as possible. One way of assuring this is to protect your fence with a waterproof sealant. As the years pass, untreated fence boards will deteriorate and weather much faster than pre-treated boards. Make sure to ask your fencing contractor about including this in your package. To learn more fencing tips, contact a professional in fence installation in Summerfield NC.
We hope everyone is having a good summer and had a great fourth of July. Summer is a popular time for yard work, and it can be tough keeping your lawn looking good in the heat. Are are some summer lawn tips, provided by experts in weed control in Penfield NY.
- Clippings from mowing the lawn act as a good natural fertilizer. The clippings help provide nutrients to your lawn.
- Don't overfeed your lawn. This can result in weak growth and fungal problems.
- You can tell when your lawn needs water by walking on it. If the grass doesn't spring back up after being stepped on, give it some water.
Friday, July 7, 2017
We hope everyone had a good holiday. As summer continues on, take this time to get around to improving your landscape. There is still plenty of warm weather to come, so improving your landscape is still worth it. Here are some tips provided experts in aeration in Tybee Island GA.
- Don't limit yourself to just your yard for growing flowers. Window boxes or hanging pots along a fence are great ways to showcase flowers while making the most of your space.
- If you're landscaping on a hill, it's incredibly important to consider the existing plants and trees. These plants and trees play a big role in soil strength, and removing them can damage the structure of the hill.
- If you don't have much room in a front yard, consider a garden. A small lawn doesn't provide much, but a garden can make the most of that space.